Dylan Morton (ディラン・モートン diran mōton )was a US Army operator who served as a Lieutenant in the Tactical Reconnoitering and Acquisition Team during the infamous 2010 Third Energy Criticality Incident. In the years following TRAT, Morton was brought into the Noah's Ark Project to deal with a further catastrophe involving Third Energy.
As a young man, Morton was a member of a street gang. During a gang war in the 2000's, Morton was targeted by their rival street gang, who instead murdered his mother and sister at their home while he was out. Disturbed by the experience, Morton left the gang and that lifestyle behind to join the US Army to make up for his mistake. He managed to retrieve his sister's necklace, which he kept with him at all times.
By 2010, Morton had risen through the ranks and become a First Lieutenant in TRAT, an Army special operations taskforce. In May of that year his platoon was ordered on a time-travel operation to rescue the survivors of a Third Energy accident in Edward City several months prior. The camp was attacked by a pack of Velociraptors, and the entire platoon was wiped out save for Morton, David Falk and Regina, a SORT agent on assignment to the team. The three continued their mission as normal, and soon discovered they had overshot Edward City by some two decades, with a jungle expanding to take over much of the terrain west of a lake, and with it the expansion of dinosaur territory. When Morton and Regina linked with David in Edward City, the last of the civilians perished, and David himself died when an Allosaurus attacked them at a river.
Morton was washed out downriver, where he was saved by a teenage girl, Paula. Reaching a high-tech facility, he discovered his destiny, that in 2055 he would again time travel to the region as the leader of the Noah's Ark Project, and bring with him the very dinosaurs that populate it, victims of a time-displacement catastrophe, and also finding Paula to be his own daughter. Regina traveled through a timegate to 2010, promising to rescue him and Paula with improved technology.
How Regina saved Morton and Paula is not known, but the two were prevented from escaping back to 2010 by the Noah's Ark Project's computer system, MTHR, which malfunctioned and began time-displacing 21st century landmarks, sending them to another universe known as Hyperspace. The two planned to temporally-displace a third party moments before their death; this way, Morton felt, he would not be sending them to their deaths as it was always their destiny. Their candidate was Lieutenant Mike Wired, an American pilot destined to be killed in combat in 1943. Wired succeeded in repairing MTHR, and Morton returned to 2010.
Noah's Ark Project
In the years between 2010 and 2055, a crisis emerged on the Earth as a temporal anomaly resulting from Third Energy began displacing dinosaurs. Threatened by the possibility of temporal displacement wiping out humanity (or preventing it from existing), the Noah's Ark Project was established. The goal was to send these displaced dinosaurs three million years into the future where they would cease to be a harm to them. Morton, now a Colonel, led the mission and the teams brought their families along. At the end of the mission, the timegate stopped working and the dinosaurs escaped containment, killing most of the team. Morton himself lived long enough to record a message he knew his younger self would eventually listen to.
In the novelization, Morton's younger self received the message and after going back to his own timeline it is implied that he could use this acknowledge to make sure every survivor in Edward City was rescued, as well as preventing the deaths of Paula and his colleagues (and their children) during the Noah's Ark Project.
- Main Skills: Physical strength, stamina, psychological durability in adverse combat situations, heavy weapons specialist
- Distinctive Features: Blonde hair, blue eyes, gang tattoos
- He is shown to be quite brash when it comes to making choices, as when he prefers to cut away the vines using his Machete instead of going the other way with Regina at the beginning of the game.
- Morton kept his sister's necklace safe after she was killed and gave it to Paula when she was born.
- In 2055, Morton is 71 years old while Paula is implied to be at least 17–18, meaning that Paula will be born when Morton is in his early to mid fifties.
- There was originally going to be a messy senior officer who bullied Morton, although the idea was scrapped.
- He may be related to Dr. Jack Morton.
- In the opening cutscene, Morton's motion capture is performed by AAC Stunts member Mizuho Yoshida.
- Morton is the only soldier to have a family member appear in the games.
- Additionally he is the first soldier to talk about his past and family, the second being Patrick Tyler.
- Morton is the first character to have a love interest, the second being Paula.
- Regina would have been the second one but the idea was scrapped.
- Dino Crisis 2 (2000), scene: "Necklace".
- Dino Crisis 2 (2000), scene: "Prologue and opening movie".
- Dino Crisis 2 (2000), scene: "End of the road".
- Dino Crisis 2 (2000), scene: "Farewell to David".
- Dino Crisis 2 (2000), scene: "Ending movie".
- Q8. ディランの妹のネックレスをポーラがつけていたのは？ A8. 妹を殺されたディランは、 ネックレスを形見として大切に保管していました。 そして、 ２０１０年より未来に生まれたポーラに与えたのです。
- Q24. "開発スタッフだけが知っている秘密は？"
A24. "シナリオの初期段階では、 じつはレジーナに恋人役がいました。 名前は、 たしかアレックス、 とか言ったと思います。彼はS.O.R.T.の先輩で、 なぜかどんな局面でもレジーナにキスしたがるという設定でした （シナリオのラストシーンもキスで締めだった）。 スタッフから 《キス魔》 というニックネームを与えられていたアレックス、 いつの間に消えてしまったのか、 いまとなっては謎です。 また、ポーラは最初、 カーク博士の娘として設定されたりもしていました。 ディランをいじめるメチャクチャな上官が出てくるバージョンもありました。 シナリオが固まるまでは、 いろんな愉快なキャラクターが現れては消えていきました。"